VCU Student Government Forums
Welcome to SGA Forums. Please feel free to look at our periodic updates. We appreciate any feedback from your side. Please contact us at sgatech@vcu.edu if you experience any problems while accessing the forums.

Thank you,
Student Government Association

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to SGA Forums. Please feel free to look at our periodic updates. We appreciate any feedback from your side. Please contact us at sgatech@vcu.edu if you experience any problems while accessing the forums.

Thank you,
Student Government Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Student Affairs 2008-2009

2 posters

Go down

Student Affairs 2008-2009 Empty Weekly Report...

Post  GabrielWalker Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:50 am

Here's the Student Affairs update for 2/9/09:

-I am currently working with the student life committee on trying to get information on how other state universities handle temporarily disabled student situations. We should have a report on this within the next few weeks.

-I have also contacted Mark Willis in regards to the hand sanitation bill, and we should be getting the ball rolling on that sometime this week.

-Lastly, senator Chambers will be helping to introduce the school song bill.

I hope everyones week is going good.

--Gabriel
Director of Student Affairs

GabrielWalker

Back to top Go down

Student Affairs 2008-2009 Empty Weekly Report 1/19/09

Post  GabrielWalker Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Hey, hope everyones semester is starting off on the right foot. Here's what I have going on with student affairs so far.

I contacted Mrs. Kelland earlier this week to get updated about the continuing bike rack program, and she has assured me that they are still working diligently and will attempt to give me updated maps this week.

I am still waiting to hear back from Jibran about where we will be taking the football initiative next, but have received much interest from students about trying to help anyway they can.

Lastly look out for a rough draft sometime this week for a bill proposal pushing for a school song.

That's all I have for now, good luck this spring!

--Gabriel Walker

GabrielWalker

Back to top Go down

Student Affairs 2008-2009 Empty Weekly report.

Post  GabrielWalker Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Hello fellow colleagues and constituents-

Obviously this is getting close to the end of the semester, and as such the happenings for student affairs for this semester are wrapping up as well. Below is what is still being worked on to date...

Still trying to get this back rack issue behind us, luckily I have made headway with the VCU police and started getting a response from them. I have also enlisted the help of Dr. Klink to assist me in getting this issue resolved in a more time efficient manner. He will begin also looking into the issue this coming Monday.

The school song idea is also still alive for those still curious. For some reason Mr. Wiznerowicz (coordinator of musicianship studies) has not responded to his initial e-mail, nor my follow up e-mails. I know for a fact however that Dr. Guthmiller (Chair for the department of music) is interested in this idea, so I will get him back involved and make him aware of the situation with Mr. Wiznerowicz and make sure that the music department will indeed still be able to help the SGA so that we are not letting time go by with nothing to show for it.

Lastly, as all of you should know by now, the football poll was a great success as far as participation goes. I am going to speak with Jibran this coming week to see how exactly he wants to follow up on this push in the spring.

I hope everyone is having a safe and wonderful fall break with friends and family.

--Gabriel

GabrielWalker

Back to top Go down

Student Affairs 2008-2009 Empty Weekly report.

Post  GabrielWalker Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:30 am

Hey all, this week in Student Affairs has been pretty much just a continuation of last week, with the exception of a few items.

I’m assuming that the bike rack map should be done sometime this week, since Mrs. Kelland has not given me any reason why it shouldn’t since the injury she sustained a few weeks back. I will be following up on that this week.

Dr. Guthmiller (Music department chair) also put me in contact with Mr. James Wiznerowicz (Coordinator of musicianship studies). After exchanging e-mails briefly he brought up a few immediate issues that we would need address including the following…

• If the music students create a melody first will the non-music students be able to read the music to write lyrics appropriately?

• What would the genre or style of song that VCU would want for this project?

He also brought up a few more concerns, in which I am going to attempt to work with him specifically on to iron out. In any case, this school song is going to be bigger than initially anticipated.

We’re still collecting information from the football survey before proceeding with any other steps yet. I have also been able to put together a steady list of volunteers for when we are ready to spread the information on the “streets”, but I’m hoping to get a few more before it’s all said and done.

I also followed up on the Bike Rack Bill created by Ethan. I attempted to contact Corporal Ervin Taylor (Crime prevention officer for Monroe park campus), but have still yet to hear back. I will again attempt to follow up this week.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

--Gabriel

GabrielWalker

Back to top Go down

Student Affairs 2008-2009 Empty weekly report.

Post  GabrielWalker Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:36 pm

Hello fellow SGA members and constituents. This week there was a lot going on this week as far as student affairs is concerned.

Supreet, Sanjay, and myself met this week to discuss in further detail what we felt were appropriate guidelines for the school song contest. I also met with Dr. Guthmiller (Department of Music) on Friday, and he expressed his concerns about possible things that could go wrong with having an open contest, but also supported the idea and stated that he would contact some of the music directors to see if they can further assist us in this undertaking. Dr. Guthmiller also stated that he felt a deadline of only a few weeks for the competition was not enough, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and informed him that we would attempt to wait for him to contact his various directors and receive feedback.

There was also progress made for the VCU football team. Anthony Spain already collected the base information for startup cost last week from ODU, and this week Justin Greene has created survey questions to be posted on the VCU portal the beginning of next week for the student population to give their feedback on. I have also began recruiting a “street team” of student volunteers who are willing to help us with petitioning and handing out information packets should we choose to do so.

That’s just about all for now, I hope everyone is having a safe and fun weekend.

--Gabriel

GabrielWalker

Back to top Go down

Student Affairs 2008-2009 Empty Weekly Report.

Post  GabrielWalker Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:52 am

Hello all, I hope everyone had a fun and safe halloween weekend. I apologize for my slight tardiness in this post, but here we go nonetheless!

I attempted to contact John Guthmiller of the music department at the beginning of the week, to set up a meeting time in order to discuss the idea of having a competition to create the best VCU song. Kanwar and I were also discussing the best way to go about getting the most dynamic lyrics for the song, in which I’m sure we will still send out a mass e-mail to the student body to create a buzz, but also look at some more selective channels as well.

I believe we are making decent progress as far as the football issues goes. Anthony Spain has collected a lot of base information that will be valuable to us as we try to build a valid case as to why VCU should adopt a football program. We will still be getting more information in the next few weeks, but here are some of the basics that Anthony has sent me…
• ODU has estimated that it will cost 4-5million to start, not including facilities and additional women's sports.
• There is a projected annual operating cost of 2.2million.
• ODU student activities fees have gone from 1,313 to 2,535.

I am still working on getting those bike rack maps out too (I know it’s been forever now), but Mrs. Kelland was hurt this past week, so it slowed down progress a little bit since she wasn’t as mobile as usual. She has let me know her new estimated delivery time should be sometime next week. As a side note to this issue, Ethan also brought up a valid point this week that student’s should be involved in the planning of new facilities to be built on campus since we are the one’s who will be using them, and since I am not sure if that is happening yet I am going to find out this week.

That’s all I have for this week, be easy peoples!

--Gabriel

GabrielWalker

Back to top Go down

Student Affairs 2008-2009 Empty Weekly Report.

Post  GabrielWalker Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:46 am

Hello VCU-

There is not a lot going on as far as student affairs is concerned this week. I have been reading through the VCU 2020 book to get a better idea of which direction the university is trying to go, so thank you Morgan for allowing me to borrow this resource.

Besides that, I am going to look into how to implement the bicycle parking bill, in which I’ll probably be teaming up with Ethan Labowitz to attack. I will also be attending the student life committee meeting tomorrow to catch up with them and see what new issues they’re working on.

Nothing really else going on besides that. Hope everyone is staying safe, only four more days till fall break!

--Gabriel

GabrielWalker

Back to top Go down

Student Affairs 2008-2009 Empty Weekly Report

Post  GabrielWalker Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:30 am

Hey all, hope everyone is enjoying this fall weather so far and continuing to do well in class… time is flying.

As far as updates for Student Affairs this week, the only major event that happened was the food advisory meeting this past Thursday. Below is a summary of the topics that were discussed at this meeting.

The meeting was based off of complaints and issues that the students present at the meeting had with the commons marketplace and shafer. Each student expressed his or her concern. Some of the main issues that were brought up were:
1) Vegetarian Grills- whether or not the veggie burgers were being cooked on the same grills as the normal burgers; it kind of defeats the whole purpose of the veggie burgers being vegetarian
2) Subway service- customer service is horrible; very rude
3) The cashiers at commons- always texting or talking on the phone; makes the lines slower and inefficient
4) Marketplace/Subway- always out of ingredients, like bread or vegetables
5) Stir-Fry at shafer- takes too long; goal is to make it a total of 3 minutes waiting time
6) Vegan/Vegetarian food only offered a couple hours during the day as opposed to the entire time that shafer is open.

The marketplace will be moving to the Online VCU area hopefully starting on the 14th. Subway will stay where it is. This process will take 6 weeks, so it will be done by December, but it may not open until Spring semester.

Vegan students were requesting more vegan food items. Salad lovers wanted more romaine lettuce and spinach instead of the Iceburg lettuce which as no nutritional value.

The new Human Resources manager is Tasha Scott. She is exclusive only to VCU and no other schools. In the previous years, we have had a human resources manager that was split between 3 schools.

Any problems with customer service, especially with a certain employee, or food issues should be directed towards the human resources manager or Risha Molnar, Retails Operations Director for Dining Services from Aramark Higher Education. (804) 828-2225

GabrielWalker

Back to top Go down

Student Affairs 2008-2009 Empty Week of September 22

Post  Admin Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:34 pm

I met with Ethan of the Student Life committee to discuss the various issues he and his group have been tackling thus far in the semester, as well as what I have been working on. We also brainstormed some ideas on how to attack other issues coming down the road.

I also still have been following up on the bike/scooter rack issue, and actually got to meet with Mrs. Margaret Kelland on Friday to discuss exactly how the school plans on spending the $56,000 on the racks. It would break down to being thirteen bike racks total on the Monroe Park Campus with 139 spaces total, and as far as MCV is concerned there will be fourteen total bike racks with about 152 spaces total. There will also be 2 scooter racks built, which will have designated signs as well as a slighter varied builds from standard bike racks. Mrs. Kelland also allowed me to obtain copies of the maps that show where they are building the new racks. She also showed me the overall map which is still a work in progress, but she believes can get done within about the next month, so I will continue to follow up on that as that time grows closer. Finally she informed me that the new racks should be installed by November 10th.

That's all for this week, hope everyone is having a good weekend despite the weather.

--Gabriel Walker

Admin
Admin

http://forums.vcusga.com

Back to top Go down

Student Affairs 2008-2009 Empty Week of September 15th:

Post  Admin Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:03 am

Hey all, first of all I hope everyone is have a fantastic week, both inside the classroom and within SGA. Below is what I have been able to accomplish this week.

I followed up about the bike rack issue with Mr. Uzzle (University Planner), and he informed me again that they were more than willing to help us with identifying and mapping the bike rack locations, and that work for it was already in progress. I also asked about what we needed to do to increase the amount of bike racks around campus, in which he informed me that the Physical Plant Coordinator for the Monroe Park Campus – Ms. Margaret Kelland – is having a pre-construction meeting next week to begin the installation of $56,000 worth of new bike and scooter racks on both campuses.

I than contacted Ms. Kelland to request either being able to attend the pre-construction meeting or having her meet with me so that I can get a break down of the project, which she agreed to so I’ll keep you all in the loop about that after I meet with her.

My last bit of work this week was trying to tackle the Ram Madness issue. I contacted the Athletic Director, Mr. Norwood Teague, and basically re-stated what all I had been told about the situation. He responded initially with a very short e-mail basically saying, “the dates did not work this year, and that was the reason basketball is not involved. hopefully we can do it again next year”. I than followed up with an e-mail throwing some other options of things we could do during ram madness to try and substitute the basketball team not playing, in which he again replied, “we are already down the road on this....i think we need to look at next year with basketball's involvement...”. None the less, I’m going to see what else I can find out about the other activities going on that night, if any, and than see what I can do from there.

That’s all for this week, hope everyone has a fun and productive weekend, be safe!

--Gabriel
Director of Student Affairs Reply to this message

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Student Affairs 2008-2009 Empty Student Affairs 2008-2009

Post  Admin Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:02 am

Week of September 8th:

Hey all, here is an update of what I have going on...

I have been working on the bike rack issues around campus this week, and made pretty decent progress as far as that is concerned.

I contacted Mr. Russell Uzzle (who is the University Planner) initially on the 10th about this issue, expressing that students had a need and want for more bike racks spread across campus as well as a way to locate these bike racks. His response was positive and he agreed that it was a good idea. We ultimately agreed that after they finishing mapping the bike rack locations, the easiest way to distribute these maps would be to initially put them in .PDF format and attach them to a VCU TelegRam, as well as make it available on the parking and transportation webpage. I also suggested that we could distribute hard copies initially amongst the residential halls.

He and his team are currently working on the map, and I will follow up next week to see what progress has been made.

My next order of business is the Ram Madness issue, which I am still trying to collect more information on before I attempt to tackle it.

That’s all I have to report on this week, hope everyone is having a great weekend!

--Gabriel

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Student Affairs 2008-2009 Empty Re: Student Affairs 2008-2009

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down